Validating a tax id

Rated 4.67/5 based on 699 customer reviews

A customer’s tax IDs are displayed in the header of invoice and credit note PDFs.

Currently, Stripe Billing supports the following Tax ID types in the following regions: You are responsible for ensuring customer information, including their tax identification number, is accurate.

When automatic validation is not available, we strongly recommend that you manually verify these IDs.

Navigate to the Customer page, clicking the Update details button in the top of the Details panel.

This process only validates whether or not the tax ID is valid—you’ll still need to verify the customer’s name and address to make sure it matches the registration information.

VIES validation usually takes only a few seconds, but depending on the availability of various government databases, may take longer.

Stripe Billing provides automatic validation for some tax ID types.

To avoid backup withholding, beginning in January 2012, it is very important that merchants provide the correct name and Tax Identification Number (TIN) that is used when filing their tax return that includes the transactions for their business.

The federal Housing Assistance Tax Act of 2008 included the enactment of new Section 6050W of the Internal Revenue Code (Section 6050W) that requires reporting entities to annually report payments in settlement of card and payment third party network transactions to the IRS for all merchants.

Section 6050W also requires reporting entities to perform backup withholding from merchant funding by deducting and withholding income tax (currently 28%) from the gross sales amount of reportable transactions if (a) the merchant fails to provide the merchant’s TIN to the reporting entity, or (b) the IRS notifies the reporting entity that the TIN (when matched with the name) is incorrect.

To begin the validation process, please enter your Merchant Identification Number (MID) beginning with 5101, 4343, 4139 or 5436 which can be found on your Merchant processing statement.

The Internal Revenue Service issues employers a Tax ID for their business. Employer ID Numbers (EIN/Tax ID) are located on the tax return forms you file every year.

Leave a Reply